Monday, October 12, 2009

"The Host" coming to a theater near you!


Fun, Nerdy, and Somewhat Embarassing Fact about me: I love the Twilight books by Stephenie Meyer. Yes, the book series that has teenage girls all over the world in complete hysterics, wishing for the reality of their own teenage vampire lover. I don't fall into that category, but I do quite enjoy the books. (No, I'm not a goth or a vampire loving freak with a scary dark side. I just like to read good books.) As a matter of fact, I'm re-reading the series in preparation for the movie New Moon coming out on November 22nd! Stephenie Meyer has a way of drawing you into the story, deeply endearing you to her characters and causing you to turn page after page without being able to put the darn thing down. Since I thoroughly enjoyed that series, I went on to read a sci-fi thriller that she wrote called The Host. Now, I'm not really one for science fiction, although I don't have anything against them. I simply have limited time to read so I choose to read other things. (I think the last sci-fi book series I read were Timothy's Zahn's Star Wars books, back in high school!) However, I completely enjoyed The Host. This thing has like 900 pages and I read it in a matter of days. If you love Stephenie Meyer's writing and can deal with a bit of sci-fi, I definitely recommend reading The Host. It's not as "sci-fi" as I assumed it would be so don't let that tag scare you away (I really didn't think I would like it as much as I did).

Naturally I was excited when I heard that it will soon be made into a movie! Check out what Stephenie Meyer has to say about it, taken from her website:

September 23, 2009

Hey guys, great news! The Host is on its way to the big screen:

Variety.com: "Twilight's Meyer..."

I'm so excited to be working with Nick Weschler, and Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz to bring The Host to a visual format. They've all been a dream to work with, so lovely and collaborative, and I feel like we're in a really good place to make a great movie together. And then to have Andrew Niccol writing and directing? Truly awesome. If you've never seen Gattaca, go watch it now. One of my favorite movies of all time. It's such a great example of character driven science fiction, which is ideal for The Host, no? I'm having an absolute blast imagining different dream casts, which I would post if people didn't take my silly blogs so seriously these days. I'm looking forward to seeing the cast lists you come up with in the fansite forums, and if any of them match mine.

So, very exciting. Yay Host!

XO
Steph

Before I conclude this post, I will give in to my nerdy and somewhat obsessive side and share a New Moon countdown, as I'm looking forward to the movie! /nerdmode off.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Three things.
1. that's cool that they are making The Host into a movie (I *still* need to read it!)
2. I laughed out loud when you wrote "/nerdmode off" :D
3. I absolutely LOVE you're new header background! so pretty!

Christy said...

Thanks!! I love my new banner too - so fun to make those. YES you need to read The Host! Put it on your list!

Heh, /nerdmode. "Everybody has their level"!