Friday, October 30, 2009

Trick or Treat?


If you know me, you know that I'm not a fan of Halloween. As a matter of fact, I am against supporting the "holiday" because of it's origins and what "All Hallows Eve" is REALLY all about. On the surface, celebrating this day seems innocent enough, however, All Hallows Eve stems from pagan and satanic origins. I won't get into it here, but I greatly encouraged you to do some research. You may find some things that will surprise you. I believe it's good to be educated about these "innocent" things that our culture embraces, and know, if nothing else, what we are allowing our kids to take part in.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about allowing Audrey to trick-or-treat. Eric and I have decided to participate in it for the past two years, but we may not do it in the future. Once Audrey is old enough to understand why we don't want to support the "holiday", we will certainly replace trick-or-treating with something else that is enjoyable and fun, such as a harvest/Fall party or something that will still be fun and special, something that will not make her feel like she is missing out on all the fun.

Audrey was a chicken for a good part of the day yesterday. At first she DETESTED the costume and threw a sad little fit whenever I tried to put it on her. After awhile, she finally got over her frustration, but it took a few minutes! Here is Audrey and her friends at our play group:



Ava and Audrey were terribly upset about having to wear their costumes, and poor Emma was a little taken aback by all the fuss!


My little chicky :)



Yesterday evening, we went trick-or-treating with our friends. It was a BLAST to walk around together and see the kids enjoy getting treats. (Laura & Ava, Katie & Brianna, Audrey & I, Abby & Nolan)


Nolan and Ava riding in style:


Dave & Katie's neighbors had a massive display of carved pumpkins that the entire street had put together. Many of them were really impressive, like this one of Patrick Swayze...


Good times! Also, there is another new post from today, below. Check it out!

PS - A big thanks to Laura and Katie for sharing the above pictures with me as I am still camera-less!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad to see someone else shares my views of halloween. The Assembly of God churches, and other area churches, hold events on halloween night to give an alternative to the kids.