Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Big Day Approaches

We got a call from my doctor this afternoon. Because Audrey is measuring so big (7 lbs. 9 oz. a week ago), my amniocentesis and C-Section have been scheduled. The amniocentesis is a test that determines whether or not the baby's lungs are mature and ready for birth. That test is scheduled for early morning on Thursday, April 3rd.... providing her lungs are ready to go (we'll know by the end of the day on the 3rd), the C-Section will happen early Friday morning, April 4th. I will be 37 weeks on that day. Her body parts are all measuring on schedule, except that her abdomen is measuring large. They include the shoulders in the abdomen measurement, and they don't want to risk having her shoulders get stuck in a vaginal birth. (Lovely thought, isn't it?!) One thing to keep in mind is that these growth scans are often not completely correct, so Audrey may be smaller than they think. However because she goes by the result of the growth scan ultra sound, my doctor is doing what she feels is safest for everyone in scheduling the C-Section.

Both my perinatologist (high risk doctor) and OBGYN agree that my blood sugars have not played a part in her being so big, which is a relief to me. Thank God I've been able to keep my diabetes under good control!

We had expected to hear that the C-Section would be scheduled for around 38 weeks, so it wasn't too much of a shock to hear that the doctor wanted to do it at 37 weeks. We covet your prayers and thoughts as the countdown begins... may God's peace, wisdom, and timing prevail over the entire situation and all of us involved!

How exciting. I can hardly believe we'll have a BABY in a few weeks! AHH!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

That's a big baby!

Hope everything continues to go well.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.