Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Blizzard of '08

For the first time since moving here in 2005, we were literally snowed in this weekend in what reporters called The Blizzard of '08. Dramatic, isn't it? :D From Friday afternoon to last night (Saturday), we got at least 1.5 feet. There were level 1 to level 3 snow emergencies throughout almost the whole state of Ohio ~ level 1 being to drive very cautiously, level 2 to not drive at all unless absolutely necessary, and level 3 allowing only emergency and road clearing crews to be on the roadways. Yesterday, our county was between a level 2 and 3 snow emergency. It was almost satisfying in a way. For two years I have been of the opinion that if it's going to snow, it should REALLY snow, so that we get to stay home from work or at least enjoy making snowmen and sledding out of doors. Finally my wish came true, and we got some REAL snow! We enjoyed a completely relaxing day of staying indoors, watching Heroes, playing computer games, and taking naps.

Here are some pictures I took this morning. The snow is really beautiful as it sparkles in the sunshine. Click for big versions.


The house after Eric skillfully used the snow blower to clear the driveway. The snow blower was a gift from one of our dear neighbors from across the street. Jo recently injured her shoulder and has been unable to use the blower to clear her own driveway, so she generously gave it to us. She is one smart lady though... give the snow blower to the strong, young guy across the street, who will gladly clear her driveway anytime it needs to be done! :D


The front walk and porch before I decided to shovel...


And after! The nurse practitioner at my OB's office told me that I should help Eric shovel the snow for exercise, so if I go into preterm labor I am totally blaming her.


I look rather pleased with myself after shoveling the 3 ft. snow drift off the front porch! Not bad for my first attempt at snow shoveling, ever.


Eric cleared the driveways of 3 of our neighbors, dear elderly ladies who would have had quite a rough time doing it themselves.


Eric coming after me with the snow blower. :)


The backyard

Sasha and Molly playing in the backyard


Gabby trudging through the snow toward me


Our neighbors dogs... the Huskies are beautiful and seem to be relatively good dogs, but I think the German Shepherd is possessed. He's horribly mean, aggressive, and barks nonstop while outside.


While we were watching Molly today, she found a bird in the backyard. It was alive and didn't seem to have any injuries, but we couldn't tell what was wrong with it. Eric put it in a safe spot up in a tree, where hopefully it would recover enough from it's shock to fly away. Or, at least die in a somewhat peaceful manner rather than being crushed by a well meaning Labrador.

No comments: