Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Yaketty Yak

My blog is in need of something a little less sappy than my last post. Back to my usual nonsensical antics!

A little background on this week's act of craziness. Our good friends from small group, Laura and Jason, recently returned from a mission trip to China. They had a wonderful, rewarding time blessed by the Lord, and we enjoyed hearing all about it last night at group. Along with many pictures and stories, they brought samples of packaged food from China, many of which were rather strange and some which were simply nasty (for lack of a better word). Being the daring person that I've been lately, I sampled a few of them.

This corn candy tasted like an old can of creamed corn:


After cleansing my palate of 13 year old creamed corn, I ventured to try something even more interesting.


In case you aren't fluent in Chinese, that says Yak jerky. Real, honest to goodness, overly dehydrated Yak meat in all it's glory. More than anything, I was overcome with curiosity to see what Yak tasted like. Why, I will never know. At first it smelled a little like grass. Then it smelled like something died in the grass. Then it smelled a little like something pooped and then died in the grass, after which it was cooked with spices that I simply couldn't make out. Despite all of this, I plunged on in my head strong desire to taste the Yak jerky. After I put it into my mouth, I started laughing and couldn't stop for quite awhile. As I chewed, the taste progressed much like the smell did. Laura smelled the package and shared my opinion... The scene looked like this:


I must admit that I didn't end up swallowing the Yak jerky as the taste wasn't for me. I did taste a few things that were good, like chocolate stuffed oreos, strawberry corn puffs, and strawberry candy that only tasted a little like plastic. Overall it was a great experience. I look forward to my next sampling of international cuisine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eating foreign foods can be a surprise and an agony!!! But it sure can be fun! :)

Where are more pics of the baby?

Love, Mom