Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday Ramblings

Another weekend come and gone. How in the world do weekends fly by so quickly? Some telemarketer I talked to last Friday made a comment I had to agree with (probably the first telemarketer I've ever agreed with). He said "the week seems to be all Mondays until Friday, when the weekend is right around the corner." Sometimes I feel like I go through the majority of my work week with a case of the Mondays. I enjoy my weeknights immensely, but they are always too short and the prospect of going back to work in the morning looms over me. I am of the opinion that we should try to enjoy our time at work, or find a job that we can love and put our heart and soul into. Why go through life trudging through work days, when we will be at work at least 75% of our lives?

Vickie and Karen, I know you read my blog from time to time, so bear with me here! I think you already know my feelings, anyway. :) I read an article from this month's Oprah magazine (no comments from the peanut gallery!) about 10 or so women who quit their executive/career jobs after much thought and preparation. They took a big risk, stepped out in faith, and began their own businesses alone or with a partner, businesses that fulfilled dreams and brought much happiness. One started a bakery. Another started a stationary shop. One started a travel company, another an interior design/refurbishing business. The point is, they all made the decision to do what they loved. None of them had it easy, and each one went through at least mildly difficult times getting her company off the ground. In the end, each one was happy and never regretted her decision. The article inspired me and gave me hope. For awhile now, I have dreamed about opening a coffee or flower shop, perhaps doing something with photography. Recently, Dave & Katie gave me the opportunity to learn the photography ropes, which has given me inexpressible joy. I'm not kidding! Prior to their offer, I had resigned myself to thinking that I would be chained to a desk for the rest of my life. So thanks you two, for giving me a creative outlet that I enjoy so much! Granted, God uses people with desk jobs, and I believe He has done so with me in my past positions. He has brought dear friends into my life that I would have not otherwise met (you know who you are!). I'm not saying I am going to quit my job and try to start a company on my own. We don't have the resources or funds at this moment to start a business. While I am ambitious, I'm not stupid. I'll continue to dream about that coffee or flower shop, and perhaps one day my dream will be realized. I will continue to enjoy wedding photography and learn all that I can until Dave & Katie get tired of my constant babbling and hyper personality!

Don't lose hope, fellow dreamers. Keep your eyes and ears open, and ask God for direction... He will give it! I know it's Monday... but life will get better, I promise. Only four more Mondays until the weekend! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go for your dreams! You're young and have lots of time yet to plan on how to achieve those dreams. Don't let your creative thoughts become stagnant. Use this "chained to the desk" time to develop your future plans of that coffee shop or flower shop decorated with all the photos you have personally taken.